As the Drools mailing list volume increases I thought I’d make a tongue in cheek etiquette guide to go on the mailing lists info page, http://labs.jboss.com/drools/lists.html. We aren’t really that formal or strict yet, but hopefully it will help keep the traffic noise down as we grow. Feed back welcome 🙂
How to have your emails ignored:
- Start the email with “URGENT”
- Tell everyone how desparate you and how you need an immediate response for your really important project.
- Don’t wait a minimum of 3 days and resend your email within minutes of hours.
- Send emails directly to mailing list members, especially the developers.
- Paste pages of code and then say “it doesn’t work, please help”.
- Paste a long stack trace and say “it doesn’t work, please help”.
- Start your email with “please sirs” or include “do the needful”.
- Ask dumb questions that are in the manual.
- Ask basic java questions.
- Ask questions about JRules
- Reply to an existing thread but starting a new topic
- Start your email with “I’m a member of the drools mailinglist, so please answer me”
- General begging and pleading
- Say some thing to the effect of “Please tell me how I can call a function on the LHS. (hurry my assignment is due today!)”