The Serverless Workflow Editor now offers autocomplete features for functions and events via Catalog Explorer. In my previous blog posts, we saw how KIE Serverless Workflow VSCode extension and Web Tools support OpenAPI and AsyncAPI specifications.The same feature now works with Camel Routes as well. While editing Serverless Workflow files, you can register Camel Routes and pass them as functions. These functions will be available on the Serverless Workflow Editor’s Service Catalog Explorer. This article explains how that works.
A Camel Route is a set of processing steps that are applied to a message as it travels from a source to a destination. A Route typically consists of a series of processing steps that are connected in a linear sequence.
At this point, Camel Routes are supported by KIE Serverless Workflow VS Code extension and soon the feature will be available on Web Tools as well.
INSTALLING THE EXTENSION
There are several ways to download and install the KIE Serverless Workflow VS Code extension
- Download it from the Visual Studio Marketplace.
- Launch VS Code Quick Open (Ctrl+P), paste the following commands, and press enter:
- ext install kie-group.swf-vscode-extension;
- Click on the Extensions icon in the Activity Bar on the side of VS Code, search and install.
CAMEL ROUTE SAMPLE
After installing the KIE Serverless Workflow VS Code Extension, open your Serverless Workflow project on your workspace and create a folder named “routes” inside the “main/properties” folder.
If you have a Camel Routes file, you can place it there. This folder must only contain files that have Camel Routes content. This will be automatically read by the extension and populated on the editor.
You can also copy the below sample content and paste it on a file that you can create inside the routes folder.
- from: uri: direct:numberToWords steps: - bean: beanType: java.math.BigInteger method: valueOf - setHeader: name: operationName constant: NumberToWords - toD: uri: cxf://example.com?serviceClass=com.dataaccess.webservicesserver.NumberConversionSoapType&wsdlURL=/wsdl/numberconversion.wsdl
CAMEL ROUTES AUTOCOMPLETE
Once you have the file containing Camel Routes in place, the editor is intelligent enough to automatically read through the files and parse the Camel Routes.
Here is a short demo showing how it works.
To explore and understand the Serverless Workflow Editor with the help of samples, you can try out sample projects from this GitHub repository.
That’s all for now! There are more exciting features coming up in this space, stay tuned!